Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Self- Assessment of the diary

Yichen.Li
English II IS
Jennifer Guarino
12.16. 2015
Before this assignment, I never thought I could write more than 2500 words. This assignment is a big challenge for me to write a fake character who studied in the same school with a book's main character that I read. It must be hard to write a fake person's daily life. Everything about her I need to create, and my plot needs to be followed with the book's plot. It must a big challenge, but Ms. Guarino said this assignment is a not a big story, it divided into several small events. Obviously, the small events are easier to read than a big event. So she makes this assignment easier to write. I am satisfied about the main character that I create. I think she is the unique one. She was different with Sookan. Sookan was a student who studied in American, but she's a Korean. Two different cultures must be influenced about her studying and her life. But Marin, my main character, is a Native American. She never met with another country's people. Everything about Sookan is new for her, but also attracts her.  They studied in a university, for a girl they wanted to know many things rather than studying.  So in my diary, I wrote my details about Marin's daily life, because she was not Sookan, and she was not a student who came from another country. So Marin's daily life must be more interesting  than Sookan' s. For 5 senses, I payed many attentions on hearing and seeing. When Marin came to university, she saw the buildings. She made a new friend in college because her new friend saied hello to Marin. For touch, she found a beautiful cloth that was very soft because she touched the cloth, so she knew this cloth was soft. But for tasting and smelling, I did not write many details, I just wrote in candle lit dinner and Christmas dinner. Marin must write some details in these two important dinners. Other dinners were average, nothing happened, so Marin would not write something in her diary about the average dinners. I used first person to write because this is a diary. I wrote details in her daily life. Many things happened in her daily life, but her thinking I just could guess because I am not a girl, and boys did not write diaries in our daily life. So I did not know that would a girl write what did she think in the diary. I just payed attention on the description part. Even though I still had many faults in the grammar parts. Ms. Guarino took three or four classes for us to revise our grammar mistakes, but I thought I still had some faults in grammar. I always start a sentence with“ I ”, she told me to change this habit, I cannot use it for my every sentence. So I think “ I ” is the biggest error for me. For the word count, I wrote many word, I could not count how many words did I write, but when I wrote more than 2500 words. I stopped because I began to ask myself should I write so many words. Should I delete some words? I thought a few minutes, then I began to read my diary. I wanted to know if I am a reader, what do I want to know and what do I want to pass to read. And Ms. Swift also said to me that the self-criticism is important to a writer, he must know what do the readers want to knows from your story. So if I evaluate my diary, I would give my self an A-, I still need to do many study on Grammer, but I think my plot is very attractive for readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment