Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Definition of some proper nouns

Comma splice
A comma splice is the use of a comma to join two independent clauses. 
Ex: I went fishing, I went mountain climbing, I went back my home. 

Run-on sentence
A ungrammatical sentence in which two or more independent clauses are conjoined without a conjunction. 
Ex: Now it’s almost five o’clock time is not enough for us to play. 

Sentence fragment
Sentence fragment is a group of words that look like sentence, but are not. Lose subject or verb. 
Ex:On Saturday, will go back home. 

Independent clause
a clause in a complex sentence that can stand alone as a complete sentence
Ex: I like reading books in my free time. 

Dependent clause
a clause in a complex sentence that cannot stand alone as a complete sentence and that functions within the sentence as a noun or adjective or adverb
Ex: Because he lost his phone last Saturday, he decided to buy a new phone. 

Semi-colon
Semi colon is a punctuation mark that separates major sentence element, it can be used between two closely related independent clauses, provided they are not already joined by a coordinating conjunction. 
Ex: I needed to finish three paper and two assignments today; I even did not have free time to drink coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment