Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Vocab No.3

Mannequin N.
A woman who wears clothes to display fashions. —Fashion model
A small, black velvet purse hung on the shoulder of the mannequin.

Second-hand Adj.
Derived from what is primary or original, not first hand.
I had purchased second-hand textbooks from upperclassmen at a fraction of the original price.

Animatedly, Adj.
Viable, very vivid.
Many of our classmates were there, with drinks in hand, talking animatedly.

faltered V.
Be unsure or weak
Marci! Mrs. Gannon faltered, I jus want you to look pretty for your formal dinners at the dining hall.

Impulsive Adj.
Do things suddenly without thinking about them carefully first.
She would acknowledge that I had done something impulsive, but would say that it was okay.

constrained  Adj.
Lacking spontaneity, not natural. Not comfortable.
I had always felt constrained there.

Gregorian chant N.
A liturgical chant of the Roman Catholic Church.
A Gregorian chant program is scheduled for June, and students will be coming from around the world.

Pearl N.
A smooth lustrous round structure inside the shell of a clam or oyster. Mush valued.
The pearl necklace and wishbone pin would really stand out against the black velvet.

Elope  v.
Run away secretly with one’s beloved.
We are going to elope, she blew her nose and hurled the box of tissues onto the floor.

Taciturn Adj.
Uncommunicative and don't always talk with each other.
I would write to each of my taciturn brothers, even though they had never written to me.

Sobbed V.
Weep convulsively.
I pulled the covers over my head, and sobbed unit I fell asleep.

Pouch N.
A small or medium size container for holding or carrying things.
In a silk pouch that Mother had made was her thin, white gold wedding hand.
Listlessly Adv.
In a listless manner.
As I stared forward listlessly, little Sarah snuggled up against me, and whispered into my ear, I love you.

Hymn N.
A song of Praise to God.
I was comforted by their huh-pinched hymns reverberating in the domed chapel.

Fainted V.
Sleep without any thinking.
You fainted two days ago and you have been here ever since.

No comments:

Post a Comment