Sunday, February 28, 2016

Once on this island

Yichen.Li
English II (IS)

Once upon a time, Once on this island.
I can not believe that there will be a musical  that makes me almost cry. This musician calls “ Once on this island”. It changes from the story vision to this musical. I forget how long did I watch the drama about “Peter Pan”, at that time I could not believe that my friends could make a drama so interesting. So this time when I heard my friends will play a musical and they promised this time would be more interesting than last time. So immediately I ordered the ticket and wanted to see what would they play this musical. 

Before I watch this musical, in our english class we knew some plot in it in order to make us understand what happens in the story. So it tells a story because the people want to make a girl out of afraid from thunders.  The story they talk about there is an island where lives peasants and the rich at the same time, there are four gods on this island to protect the people, which are Asaka who is the mother of the earth, Agwe who is the god of water, Erzulie who is the goddess of love and also the papa Ge who is the god of death. The plot is a little bit simple for me, it likes the plot in the Korean Drama, the main female character, Ti Moune who comes from a poor family and her parents are both the peasants. Someday she found out the Daniel who is the rich person on this island got a car crash, he is dying. Ti Moune does not care about the opposition from her parents, she prayed for four gods in order to make Daniel recover. Finally the gods are touched by this girl’s love, so finally Daniel recovers, but he does not know who saves him. Then Ti Moune travels many places in order to find Daniel. Unfortunately when she finds out Daniel, she knows that Daniel was promised to another girl when he was young, so Ti Moune was depressed and she died from miss illness. It is a sad story and these two people are the star-crossed lovers. 

If I want to compare this musical to the Peter Pan, I would say that this musical is better than the latter. Because of several reasons. First, this one is a musical, the music is the main part in this performance. Our thinking is leading from the music. When the music is sad, we are sad, when the music is happy, we are happy. Before the performance, I saw the in the right corner of the stage, Mrs. Eunyoung DiGiacomo prepared for the music of this musical. In two hours, they can not have a rest, they need to give the actors and the audience the signals about what will happen. During entire show, I think they are the most tired people, and the result is good, everyone knows what happened and everyone enjoys the musical. Second, the actors. They are the best players! Ti Moune is the main character in this show, and her thinking, her action lead the audience to go through the plot. It is a very hard job because she needs to perform to the audience all time. And I saw in the end part, when she went to the party and found out that Daniel had already promised to another girl, she began to dance. At this moment, I saw she was very tired and sweated all over. She did her best, when the show ended, all the actors received the warmly applaud. Third, the details, the difference between the wealthy people and the peasants is their dress. Peasants dress so simple, but for the rich people, everyone is dressed in black suit and wear the shoes. The peasants do not wear shoes because they are poor and low hierarchy on that island. The floor is cold, but every actor does not care about that, they pay their all attentions on the performance. Which must be so valuable. And James, because he lives on the same floor with me, every day after studying hall he would practice. One day I asked him when will this performance begin, he said after one month. I was shocked. After Ms. Guarino explained to us about the plot of this musical and how hard it would be. I can not image how hard anybody tries. During this musical, they win. And everyone does their best. Before this musical, I did not totally trust them because I knew how hard the musical would be, maybe they would perform so chaos, but after the performance, I just can say: “ You guys are awesome!” It is a two hours performance, I could image that in the background, how stress they would be, but this show is very orderly and interesting. 


I finally understand why Ms. Guarino would have the confidence to tell us that everyone needs to watch this musical, it must be awesome. And because of Mrs. DiGiacomo, Ms. Guarino and all of the students strive and hard work, this show would be incredible amazing. I love this performance and I hope next performance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment